Sunday, February 21, 2010

Jasmine: My Eyes Hurt

This has been a good weekend.

Friday my aunt, uncle, and I went to the natural history museum to see an Imax or… dinomax about mummification. The film also included lots of general facts about Egypt and the deciphering of the hieroglyphics. The whole film basically served as a reminder of how much I loved Egypt in middle school. It wasn’t the mummies, though dead people definite plus. (Random fact: because New Mexico is so dry sometimes if a person who isn’t overweight dies and isn’t found for a while they mummify. This happens more often whey you die outside but it can happen in your apartment too. That’s how they made the first mummies they just buried them in the sand for a while and nature dried them its when they wanted fancy tombs that they had to come up with a chemical way for drying the bodies.) what I’ve always loved about Egypt were the hieroglyphics, I’m an alphabet freak. Not so good with the languages, but I love symbols and thing standing for sounds and being able to pronounce the sounds…

Saturday… found out about white sands… Jarrod is bad for information, if you can get your information from someone other than Jarrod do it

Saturday night I read outlander. I was already a couple hundred pages into it and by 430 the next morning I was like 850 pages into it and wonder where I could find the next book thinking it probably wasn’t in my parents’ house but almost getting up to look for it. Morpheus is smarter than I am sometimes and I woke up some five hours later still wanting to find the next book. Outlander is a historical fiction novel. Married British woman in 1940s touches a rock in Scotland which takes her back to Scotland in the 1740s. Chaos ensues. Doug’s mom suggested it to Meghan and I some time ago (thank you Eve) and Meghan got it somewhere read it and gave it to me. I love doing that. Reading all night. Reading till staring at the page is physically painful, your eyes are throbbing begging you to turn off the light, and for some reason your body begins to ache, your head is all sluggish and because of the pain in your eyes you start to get a headache. Sometimes you fall asleep reading wake up a few hours later book still in hand, hopefully still open to the right page. Other times you can force yourself to keep going like I did last night.

Sunday… I got up too early… my head still hurts from reading into this morning. But after getting back to my apartment I made some awesome spaghetti sauce and some garlic bread. I took a four hour bath and reread The Thief while I was at it. I have discovered a trick to reading in the tub. You need to not care about the book. I’ve never dropped one but the pages wrinkle sometimes the cover gets water spots and begins to curl away from the book. And now I sit here typing this with some hot chocolate in a mug.

This post wasn’t a story, it wasn’t my position on some idea like love or political assassination, it was just a little slice of life thing… cause we haven’t posted in a while. This is only the fourth post for February. Doug, Meghan, you’ve both posted this month good job. Sarah, you can easily post your writings on this blog as well as your own… in fact I will start posting them for you if you don’t. Abe… no idea what’s happened to you, no time? I don’t care this took me 20 minutes or so… glare.

(Another random fact: I don’t remember where I heard this, whether it was on some show or from a teacher… I’m betting Ms Lydon… anyways Ramses the Great was thought of as so great because out of all of the pharaohs he built the most temples/monuments up and down the Nile. In actuality he just had enough foresight to write his name on everything he could. Smart… yes in the sense that he is immortalized forever and ever as the Great… but he didn’t build everything he wants us to believe he did)

2 comments:

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

Random fact: there is a method of mummification where the "victim" (usually voluntary) consumes massive amounts of honey until eventually their body processes stop working. Then they are buried in a vat of honey for many years, sometimes still alive. Then they are uncorked and chopped up into little bits and sold for extremely high prices as 'natural medicines' (like monkey feet, frog eyes, etc
The practice continues into modern day <3

-M

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

that is really cool. and sounds kind of delicious. not to be the "victem" but to eat them...

Jasmine