Monday, May 10, 2010

Sarah: Being Ill

She laid in bed at her parents house without the will to move.
"Uhh..."
She coughed violently spewing mucus all over the pretty silk comforter that her mother had redecorated with. She couldn't remember when her old comforter and furnature was replaced by the black and cherrywood set her parents used to have in their bedroom. It must have happened when she moved out and into the dorms. It was so long ago.
She was sick, and not the allergies gone wild sick, the I-should-be-dead-due-to-natural-selection sick. Her chest was on fire, her throat closed so that she couldn't breath, and her nose raw and sore from being wiped. That's exactly what she was - wiped.
She remembers all the dreams that she had only a few years ago - all the things that she wanted to accomplish. They all have conveniently passed her by.
"I'm almost 21, tried living on my own and failed, and I can't even get out of bed to get myself a cup of tea. What's worse - I don't even want a cup of tea."
Her cell phone rang. It was him.
"Hey Babe."
"I feel like dying, how're papers and finals going?
"Awesome. You still want to do the beach trip?"
"Right, I forgot about the new job - that's so awesome. I don't start until the 24th. Yeah, maybe I'll go by myself. Got to get through finals though. One to go."
"Love you too. Bye."
The last thing she wanted was to drive to the beach by herself. There were so many more important things. His new job, her best friend coming back into town, the need to finish up the semester, and of course, signing off her old lease and finding a new place.
It just seemed that the week before she started her job was her only chance to relax. It also looked like whatever she did she wasn't going to feel up to traveling. There was also the problem of finding someone to go with her.
Why couldn't she just sleep and have awesome dreams like Meghan? Dreams that told her how she felt about her family and her relationships and her life?
Instead she woke up believing that she went to the grocery store and acquired a pet Chilean condor. How exactly was that supposed to help her decide what to do?

She drifted off to sleep, yet again.



Naming my pet house bunny (when I get a place and have get one) Chilean condor. Con for short.

Goodnight,
Sarah

3 comments:

Scribe said...

is that a rabbit? a chilian condor? also, feel better.

Sarah said...

No, its the largest bird in the western hemisphere. I think its the largest flying bird period.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/437649342_b3490b9ce8.jpg

Anyway, my dream was nationality specific. Chilean.

And thank you. The doctor has me on lots of stuff but I'm feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a weird thing to name your rabbit after!