Monday, August 18, 2008

That guy: Musings

I'd like to begin todays lecture by pointing out a few things. First off, I, unlike all the other people who make up this clusterfuck will not be writing about college. In fact, that line right there is the most you will hear about it for a long time from my words. You have enough drivel to listen to about it from the others.



I was walking today. I do that from time to time, partially because it's a convenient, healthy, pleasant way to move from one way to another, and partially because I don't own a car at the moment. Plus, my bike is still in the oppressive grasp of a terrorist regime.

Anyways, I was walking. During my walks, I usually have my headphones in to help block out the disgusting sounds of traffic and the human disease called life. When I have my headphones in, I tend to be either much more observent, or totally spacey. It's a hit or miss, and truely follows no pattern. This can lead to some interesting events. Now, for those who don't know, I love music. Far more than almost anything else. The variety of music I listen to even shocks me at many a time. But when I'm trying to drown out an obnoxious, construction filled, lunch-hour traffic road, there is only one way to go.

Metal.

I'm a pretty big metalhead. I've never been a huge fan of the REALLY heavy shit, because I like being able to understand what's being said, screamed, or even sung. Number 1 on my metal list would have to be Lamb of God. The most talented drummer today, two absolutely incredible guitarists, an ordinary metal bassist, and a vocalist who could put a meat-grinder to shame compose a powerful, devestating band, where people get hospitalized at their shows, and band members punch each other out in drunken rages before going on stage.

There is a point to this. Like I said, I've never been a fan of really heavy shit. I know it might sound weird, but if you listen to their albums, you know what I mean. I've always enjoyed their 'softer' songs. Right?

So I was walking. And LOG was blasting in my ears. And the song 11th Hour came on. This is one of the heavy songs, but instead of me simply just enjoying it, it fucking gave me chills. Let me explain how big of a deal that is.

Here's the scale.

Changing the channel/song- I dont enjoy it very much at all.
Turning it down- I dont enjoy it.
Bobbing/tapping/swaying- I like it or am just in the groove and dont care anymore.
Turning it up- I really like it.
Turning it up and singing along- I really like it very much.
Shushing people- It's one of my faves.
Getting fucking chills- I will fucking kill you if you disrupt this mood.
Crying- Only 4 songs have ever made me do this. These are the most powerful songs on the face of the Earth.


Get it? One of the heavier songs gave me chills. It was weird. But the chills never lie. The moral of this story? Don't predetermine what might happen based on what you think you know. It's gonna be wrong.





The next brilliant little tidbit comes from the same walk.

As I was walking, I noticed something. Being on my feet all day for work, walking all the time, running alot and doing plenty of other things that involve my feet gives me superpowers. I'm very good at noticing the small things, especially when they involve me. I develop super senses over time, as many people can attest to. My sense of hearing is excellent, as is my sense of smell. I consider my taste really good, but recently, I've noticed my touch becoming more sensitive.

Being that we live in a desert state, there are plenty of variations on terrain. The city provides asphalt, concrete, grass, dirt, rocks, gravel, carpet, tile, and more. It first came to me when I would walk to work and cut through a dirt ditch. Upon crossing over onto the sidewalk, I would notice that my shoes no longer felt the same when they impacted on the concrete walk. It dawned on me. Stopping, I lifted my leg up, and started pulling goatheads (a spiny protrusion) out of the bottom of my shoes. I realized that I had been doing this for a long time. Whenever rocks got stuck in my treads, or I stepped in gum, I would always notice.

It got to the point that I would be able to count how many stickers I had in each shoe simply by taking a step. Again I am going somewhere with this.

It was hot outside today. Not very hot, but hot enough that the heat coming off the sidewalk made a difference in my stride. Upon crossing a small, intersecting street, I stepped in a puddle in the gutter. My mind was blown the next moment. I stepped onto the sidewalk, and as the water on the bottom of my shoe touched the searing ground, it evaporated so quickly that all traction dissapeared for the most brief moment I've ever known. I stopped. This was facsinating. Never before had I lost so much traction so quickly. Even when I've been lifted off the ground, or hydroplaned a car.

The moral of this story? I totally have the coolest fight scene ever planned out, revolving around this mysterious puddle incident. Yup. I have a life-altering, mind-expanding experience, and all that happens is visions of beatdowns. EPIC beatdowns.

Goodnight.



Authors note:
Now, I had originally intended to post more in this one, but due to the time, and the fact that I need to be up way too early tomorrow morning, I've decided to cut it back. Also, if I had included my next post in this one, it would be rediculously long, and even I wouldn't want to read it. So with that, 'Musings and Food Follies' becomes simply 'Musings', with 'Food Follies' to be posted the next long moment I have around the intronots.


-That guy

2 comments:

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

So for once I am the one who can't sleep. Weird. Anyway, your hearing is just okay, not excellent..and metal is definately something unique to you out of all of us...but I am glad you had a good walk and all. And I can attest to your superpowers.
~S

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

i've never really listened to lamb of god, i'm thinking i might want to try them, but their probably too heavy for me. as for your strange loss of traction. you're an awesome freak, nuff said.