Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Doug: A story idea

The sun painted the clouds the red orange of sunset, and William squinted as he stood by the railing on the open air balcony, taking in the breathtaking view. After a moment he glanced down at the never-ending clouds below him and resisted the urge to take a step back. It still disconcerted him to think of the endless depths beneath the floating city of Windward, and the horrible pressure and gravity in the depths of the gas giant. He was alerted to a presence behind him by a soft chuckle and the soft sound of a wooden cane striking the metal decking.


“Still afraid of heights I see.” The man that approached smiled as he made his way to William’s side, lifting the cane to indicate the sunset. “Just look at the horizon, try not to think about what would happen if the stabilizers and anti gravity generators failed.” He cackled at the look on Will’s face. “Oh relax boy. That hasn’t happened in almost eighty years, and the new neutral buoyancy safeties would engage long before we got to crush depth. Amazing that there is a gas that could actually make this monstrosity neutral buoyant, but there is.”

William, a strangely tall man for his Asian descent, turned to the older man. “Forgive me grandfather, you must admit though, it is an impressive sight.” His hand indicated the nothingness over the ledge.

“To someone like you, perhaps, who grew up on solid ground, but my generation knew nothing but the sky as our home.” He slowly eased himself into one of the chairs on the balcony, indicating that William should join him. “You youngsters and your dirt planets, afraid of a little fall.” His laugh turned into a cough and William put his hand on the older man.

“Grandfather Rel, you’ve been neglecting your medicine.” His words were more concern than disapproval.

Rel waved him away, and William sat across from him, a small wrought iron table between them. The table was extremely old, and Will knew that a hundred years ago even this small amount of scrap iron floating around would have been considered an extravagant luxury. Rel noticed his attention on the table and attempted to change the subject. “It was given to me by The Captain, at your grandmother and I’s wedding. That was just after the Icarus mission.” He smiled, clearly lost in memory, “Everyone was getting married. I think that’s a side effect of suicide missions that you happen to survive. Your entire outlook on life changes; your grandmother and I decided life was just too short and too cheap for what ifs and maybes. When your life almost ends the concept letting a good thing go because there isn’t time, or you’re afraid, or not really ready, just sort of flies out the window. Not for the Captain though,” Rel frowned, as though carrying some deep regret that wasn’t wholly his, “He and Molly never… “ His eyes snapped back to present. “But I’m getting ahead of myself. My dear boy,” he put his hand on William’s arm and looked him in the eyes, “I’m glad you came, I know it is a long journey.”

William gave his grandfather a genuine smile, “Not at all Grandfather, I needed a break from my work in any case, I was getting burnt out.” He looked down at his hands, which Rel had relinquished. “To tell the truth, it’s not nearly as interesting as I thought it would be.” Rel watched Will’s eyes flick back up to him, seeking something, reassurance perhaps.

Rel’s wizened features appeared thoughtful. He nodded slowly, almost but not quite resting his chin on the cane he held before him. For the first time William noticed how old his grandfather looked. His shaved bald head was covered in age spots, and his eyebrows and beard were shock white. His eyes were alert, though almost hidden behind his narrow lids. It gave him the look of an ancient monk.

“Hmm. I must admit that my reasons for summoning you are not altogether without ulterior motives then my grandson. The request I wish to make of you may be another load I hesitate to burden your mind with. Still, it may perhaps be a blessing in disguise.” He nodded slowly.

“Grandfather,” William said, frowning. “I would do anything for you; you need but ask.”

Rel sighed. “Ah, I’d forgotten how loyal you are, dear William. Yes…” he paused, seemingly searching for words. Finally:

“I’m dying, William.”

William immediately took his grandfather’s hand in his own. “What are you talking about grandfather, you’re as healthy as ever.”

Rel narrowed his eyes at this obvious lie. “Flattery will get you everywhere William, but not with me, I am too old, and have everything I want already.”

Will grinned, “Of course Grandfather. It is true you are no longer young, but you are hardly at death’s door.”

“Wrong, William. I have Boren’s disease, and, as you know, there is no cure.” He nodded to himself again, “Said it was probably an after effect of using all those particle beam weapons, all suit jockey’s get it eventually.” He shrugged, leaning back, eyes locking on William. “I have no regrets.” He paused for moment thinking. “Well, no serious ones.”

Will took this revelation in stride, not unsurprised at the development of Boren’s disease, but deciding to treat it as he knew his grandfather did: resigned acceptance mixed with mild irritation. To get upset would be useless, and grief would come later, elsewhere.

“I’ve been getting my affairs in order.” Rel commanded his attention again, “The will has been in place for years now, and there are only a few things that need tending to, but that isn’t why I summoned you.”

William said nothing, waiting for Rel to continue.

“Good, you know the value of silence.” Rel’s eyes narrowed. “I have left something undone for a long time, my grandson, and I had hoped that, despite your dissatisfaction with your current career, you would help me to do something I promised your Grandmother I would do, a long time ago.”

Will still waited in silence.

“I’m going to tell you a story. The Story, as a matter of fact, and my skills as a writer are hardly up to the challenge.” He smiled, “You, on the other hand, have most prodigious skill in that art. If you’re up to the challenge, that is.”

Will was stunned. “But, histories have been written about The Icarus Mission. I mean, you’re a Hero to the entire human race, people have been writing about you since almost before you and the Roughnecks came back from the dead and opened up space for humanity again. What could I possibly add to that?”

Rel wrinkled his nose, “I’ve read those histories. And your mother tried to con me into seeing the vids.” He shook his head. “Those overblown historian monkeys got it all wrong, and the vid people did even worse with their version. No, I want to tell the real story, what really happened. We weren’t heroes up there,” He turned his head to look at the night sky. While they had been talking the sun had slowly set, and the stars were coming out. “We were just a bunch of Jumpers that happened to be in a position to do some good.” He looked back down at Will, “Believe me, if someone else had been there, we’d have passed the buck at the drop of an escape tube. But there wasn’t, so we did it.”

“Some would say that’s the definition of a hero.” Will countered, amused now.

“Ha! I’m not a hero.” Rel’s face darkened, “The heroes were the guys that didn’t come back, like Stiltson, and Nhils, and that brave bastard Roberts, and all the others.” He paused, “And the Captain, though he would loathe hearing it. That man gave us something to fight for, something to die for.” His eyes seemed to bore into William’s in the darkness. “Will you help me tell this tale, Grandson? Tell the truth of it? Not the nonsense giants the worlds have made us out to be? Help me tell a story about a Jumper unit called The Roughnecks. About a Captain that wouldn’t quit, even when all hope was lost. And about a alien starship called The Icarus.”

There was a long silence. Finally, William replied: “I’ll get my notepad.”

2 comments:

Jim said...

Nice opening. Do it.

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

i can see them.
jasmine