Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Jasmine: Issa's in town

We were lying on his bed when the news came. His hand traced a line from the edge of my eyebrow to the tip of my chin. He tipped my chin up and pressed his lips against mine. I reached a hand up to grasp the hair at the base of his neck and pulled him down for a deeper kiss. He rolled me underneath him, hands sliding down my body caressing the bare skin where my shirt had lifted up from my pants. His lips pulled away from my mouth as he made his way to that strip of skin. Almost there his nostrils flared a second later she knocked.

He opened the door on one of the more beautiful people I have ever seen. She stood just under six feet, a little shorter than Daniel, but tall enough to look him in the eye. There was the barest swelling of hips and breasts that left her figure long and elegantly thin. Muscle twitched nervously beneath soft flawless tanned skin, it was the same all over brown that Daniel was covered with. She had the same dark brown hair that he had, only longer, it fell to her waist flowing in waves like a thing alive. There was an overall familiarly wild quality to her presence and I knew in an instant that she was like Daniel, that she was a wolf.

She strode forward through the doorway without invitation, embracing him and placing her lips against his cheek. His arms went around her holding her tightly. A wave of jealousy like fire began to spread from my eyes filling my head and my entire body with its heat. This woman, this gorgeous woman and Daniel. Who was she and why was she here? As they held each other there in the doorway my jealousy rose to fury. What had come over me? Why was I so possessive? He could hug another girl, even if she was immortally beautiful and also probably his ex of some kind. They were probably destined to mate for life or something.

“Brother.”

“Sister.”

Maybe not. I do over react...occasionally.

They broke apart and no longer blinded by a noxious cloud of stupidity, sometimes known as jealousy, I could see some of the anxious worry on her face.

“Carrie this is my sister Issa. Issa this is my girlfriend Carrie.”

I almost stood up to shake her hand or hug my lover’s sister, but Issa’s eyes narrowed a little at me. And I stayed where I was. It was a little disappointing that the first family member of his I met seemed so hostile towards me. But since I was plotting how to best maneuver a werewolf out a third story window only moments before I could cut the girl a break. But I won’t pretend that her gaze didn’t hurt. It was as if she was trying to figure out what it was that Daniel saw in a mere mortal. I shrugged at her. I didn’t know either.

“Issa, what’s the matter? Why have you come?” Daniel ignored her behavior as if it were normal. Maybe it was.

Issa was now pacing back and forth in the small dorm room. Daniel moved back to the bed with me to give her an extra couple square feet to angrily stomp on. Dorms really are small.

“I never understood why you wanted to go to college much less why you wanted to live on campus. Mom wanted you to stay home and when you said no they offered to get you an apartment near here. But you turned that down too.” She was stalling for something. But what?

“Issa, we try to live apart from humans, but it’s not possible to keep doing so. We need to learn as a group how to assimilate ourselves into their world. But you did not come here just to restart an old argument. Issa why are you here?”

Suddenly her full attention was on me. The full weight of a wolf’s stare was on my frail human body. She’d been staring at me ever since he’d used the word human. I was getting the feeling that he hadn’t told his family that I knew anything about them. I wondered if they knew anything about me. Like the fact that I existed at all.

“Issa you in there?” Daniel stood up walking closer to his sister.

Her head snapped up to face him and there was a surprised shock mingled with a little horror and disgust. I thought that was a bit much. Sure I was human. But I wasn’t all that disgusting.

“Issa what?”

“It’s forbidden.” Of course it was. Daniel and I were going to have a serious talk when she got out of here.

“It’s stupid.” That’s my boy.

“The elders will flay you for this.”

Daniel’s hands convulsed unconsciously, and he backed up against his desk letting her words drive him to the side of the room. “Issa why are you here?”

She shook herself as if trying to reorient her thoughts. Her face became very sad and then very angry at something. “Joseph has made his move.”

Daniel struggled for air and the hand gripping his desk left indentations in the wood. “He’s gone isn’t he?”

“Yes, he’s gone.” she was silent for a moment. “The girl will hurt your claim.” She said quietly.

“I have no claim, and neither does Joseph. All I have to do is beat him. I can beat him.”

“He’s a lot stronger now than when you were boys.”

“I can beat him.”

No comments: