Monday, September 27, 2010

Doug: Liar

When I die no one will be sad.

This isn't because I had friends and family. I'm sure I will. No. This is because when I die, everyone will know what I am.

I'll leave a letter, or a will, or some kind of message, that tells them all what I've done to them. Who I've lied to. Who I've lied about. The people I've done things to. The people I've hurt without having the common decency to tell.

This won't make up for the lies, the pain, the liberties I've taken with people's feelings, knowingly or not. No. The truth rarely feels good, no matter what bullshit all those teachers tried to teach us in school. The truth is really painful, and shitty, and cruel.

But it's the fucking truth. And by all Gods light and dark, it's the right thing to do.

I haven't done a lot of right things. Ever. I've lied. Cheated. Stolen. But more than that I've hurt people, really hurt them. And the worst part is some of them don't even know it. I've kept the hurt from them, and will, because I'm a coward, and even though they'll hurt more when they do find out, I'll stick with these lies because that's who I am.

A monster that looks like a man.

In my dream, when I die no one cares, because in my dream I never existed, so I couldn't hurt anyone.

And yes. I lied to you. You just don't know it yet.

-Doug

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Fearsome Fivesome said...

somehow i knew you would blog tonight.

jasmine

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

beat. beat with stick. It is called my angst stick and I use it to beat the angst out of my loved ones.

-M

Anonymous said...

If you can keep secrets and lie - other people can too. Your transgressions are yours. That's all they are. You're no better or worse than anyone else.

Sarah