Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Jasmine: Patterns

Most peoples lives are centered around a schedule. Students especially fall into this category because every day you have class at specific times which are the same every week for a semester. But everyone follows schedules. Even people who don't have jobs with regular hours find ways to structure their lives around some kind of a schedule. They buy groceries the same time and place every week, or work out the same time and place, meet their friends for a meal. Humans crave this kind of "normalcy?"

It's interesting to me that we need this structure. That when your particular pattern is disrupted for some reason until it equalizes again you are in a state of upheaval. I noticed it mostly in myself getting used to working a night shift and sleeping during the day, finding a new time to do everything. It was exhausting. But now that it's equalized it's much less exhausting, I don't have to plan day to day what's going to happen because I know that this is when I'm going to sleep and do homework and go to class.

On vacations you take a break from your schedule and it isn't exhausting it's rejuvenating. Possibly because we know that our structured lives will be there when we return?

It's kind of a depressing thought that humans are so predictable, that spontanaity is against our true natures. I would suggest that we all try doing things differently for a week but our lives would disolve. We need to go to class at that specific time, or work. If we don't do our homework when we have planned there won't be any other time for us to work on it. If we don't buy the groceries what will we eat. Our scheduling is boring, but it's also the easiest route to get what we want out of life. When we change it we make it harder on us... also on assassins. So unless there's a hit out on your life yay patterns?

3 comments:

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

I just realized that this sounds like an essay... apart from some of the language, I don't think I've ever used yay in an essay...

jasmine

Jim said...

From the moment of my birth to the instant of my death
There are patterns I must follow just as I must breathe each breath . . .
Like the color of my skin, or the day that I grow old,
My life is filled with patterns that can scarcely be controlled.
- Simon & Garfunkel

Scribe said...

You should use yay in an essay. it would make marty shit brix now that he's an english major.