Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Meghan: Minnesota

I'm lying curled under quilts, reading, when I happen to glance at the ceiling and see a little black dot. Make that two little black dots. Before I can go back to clicking through my Kindle one of the dots starts to wiggle and make its twisty way along the ceiling. Mildly alarmed I set my Kindle down on my chest and stare intently at the dots. Dot one bumps gently into dot two before continuing on its merry way. Then dot two begins to wiggle along as well. Slowly, as if dreading what they will find, my eyes drag their way along the white ceiling to discover more and more of the little dots. They’re everywhere! Last night I slept under a field of wiggling dots that could have fallen on me or swarmed me in the night; crawled in my mouth and nose and other unpleasant places. Terrified, and holding my kindle above my head for protection, I slowly stand up on the bed to look more closely at the dots and determine exactly what they are. Seeing the black and red patterning I am at first confused, then cheep with joy; they’re ladybugs. I drop my Kindle shield onto the bed and flick a few of the insects from the bed into my hand to coo over them. Two fly away angrily but one crawls over my fingers fascinated. For the next hour I run around the room finding ladybugs on the mirror, in the corners, everywhere. I am mildly afraid of going to sleep tonight, but at least they’re not cockroaches.



-M