Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Doug: "I'll bet they're asleep all over America."

Bogart's larger than life face fills my computer screen, blasting the dark room with his soulful eyes that look deeper than any well, and far more mysterious. "Here's looking at you, Kid."

Ingrid Bergman now, her eyes managing to convey a world of pain, relief and love all wrapped up in a package so beautiful that even in black and white few women can hold a candle to her. She is a beauty in the same way that Venus is beautiful; glorious, unattainable godlike beauty. She and Bogie are like twin stars, orbiting each other, each battling for control, feeding off each other's energy. All trying to approach fall like Icarus, no one even comes close.

Bogie's drawl finishs off the movie: "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Fade to black.

Beside me, Alice stirs. "Did you like it?" I ask, closing the computer screen.

Like a cat, she wiggles closer to me and lays her head on my shoulder. "Yes."

"Good. I love that movie."

"It's very good."

I put the laptop away and curl up next to her. It's been strange, sleeping next to somone. I've done it before, and like it, but it's not really the sleeping that gets to me.

The late hour seals my eyelids like steel shutters and my last clear memory is wrapping my arm around the girl next to me.

***

My alarm goes off and I snap awake. I dreamed, but, as with most of my dreams, I can't remember. The arm trapped under Alice is asleep, but I still manage to turn off the alarm. Alice, underneath me now, moans softly. I plant a kiss on her cheek and shimmy out of bed as quietly as I can.

The hot water of the shower wakes me completely. I dress quickly, Battle Utilities. We're going to do the CFT today. The boots are still dirty from last time, up downs in the mud.

Alice somehow remains asleep while I dress. It blows my mind, waking up next to this girl. Something about having to go work and her still being there when I get back, it's... different, and good.

I kiss her on the cheek again, she emerges from sleep a little hazy, but still cozent. "Hey."

"Hey. I'm off, I'll see you in a few hours." She nodds, and closes her eyes again.

I don't move for a long moment. Even in the dark, I can see well, and trace the lines of her face. All of a sudden I don't ever want to leave again, I just want to stand there and look at her forever.

It takes serious effort to tear myself away.

I do the CFT on automatic and still get a personal record. I'm thinking about something else. I talk to my ROTC friends on automatic too, managing to laugh in all the right places. All I want to do is get back to my room, where Alice is.

Finally, I open the door and see her sleeping again. I have to leave again though, cursing fate, God, and whatever else standing in my way, I change quickly and kiss her again. Telling her to get some more sleep.

And now I sit. "Listening" to Shapiro tell me about some dead naval hero.

I can't wait to get back.

-Doug

"I love you so much."
-Ilsa, "Casablanca"

2 comments:

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

never actually managed to see this movie. we sort of watched it in sheas but i dont remember paying attention. i think i wrote instead. you're kind of a sweetheart. dont ever stop. The world's a better place when you take the time to just look at the people you love and realize, wow.
jasmine

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.