Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Doug: Wistful

The warm drink in my hands helps fight back the morning chill of the desert. I never took to coffee, but the caffiene and the smell always get to me. I bring the cup up to my face and inhale deeply, the scent alone energizing me.

The sun is rising behind me, soon it will turn the sand beneath my tank so hot that you could literally fry an egg on it. The armor I'm sitting on will sear unprotected flesh, and the gloves tucked in my pocket will get pulled out.

In a few hours I'm sure orders will come down. We'll move out, armored titans, giant hammers sent to make a mess out of everything in our path. For now though, I'm content with enjoying this sunset. It reminds me of a place. Of a girl.

"Where do you go?" Stilgar, our translator asked, "When you go away like that."

I glanced down at his robed body, reclining on the side of the tank. He'd slept outside in the cold.

"Home."

He nodds knowningly. "A family?"

I frown. "No. Could have, but I let her go. I was afraid."

He drinks from his coffee, a much stronger arabian brew. "Then what do you fight for? Country? King? Honor?"

I shrugged.

He looks at me, black eyes clashing with his slowly greying beard. "Do you love this woman?"

"Yes." I replied unheasiatingly. "Always have, always will."

"You tell her this?"

I shook my head no.

He frowned. "You will. When you go home. When this war is over, you will find her, and you will tell her. You fought for your Love. She will love you in return." His frowned deepened. "But watch out for mothers in law, Yes? They are..." he trails off, twisting the ring around his finger, "troublesome."

Our barking laughs welcome the day.

2 comments:

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

oh the mother's in law. ha. everyone has trouble with those

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

fear the dragons of the clan
-M