Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sarah: My Favorite Thing to Do

I held the exacto-knife in my hand. So small, so delicate, it remains the only knife to which I have any attachment at all. I flip it in my hand effortlessly. The tool, the weapon, is only an extension of myself. I apply just the right amound of pressure to create the most delicate, fine surgical slit. The dirt yields to my will. Changing and cleaning the blades brings me joy. I use it to transform my creations. Fluid, sensual, smooth - this art is the one thing for which I have a certain love and mastery.
Making something out of nothing.
This has so many meanings. It has become my mantra.
I create each piece from the one element that can be found all over the world twenty-four hours, twenty-four seven. Dust, earth, mud, aluminum silica, it has so many names. Blowing in the face of soldiers in Iraq, creeping in the corners of soccer mom's minivans, simultaneously present under ever Wonder of the World, it is something that is more prevalent than the ocean. It is my weapon. It is my medium. It is my life.

You don't have to be badass to make something badass.

Any great work of art... revives and readapts time and space, and the measure of its success is the extent to which it makes you an inhabitant of that world - the extent to which it invites you in and lets you breathe its strange, special air. ~Leonard Bernstein, What Makes Opera Grand?

1 comment:

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

your final projects going to be beautiful.

jasmine