Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Jasmine: goslave

putitthereputittherenoherehereyesyesyes

I saw, more than felt my hand pick up the smooth white stone. A quiet voice in my head giggled and clapped its hands together.

notdoneyettakethemTAKETHEM!

The hand, my hand? moved again gathering four black stones, leaving behind an empty hole on the board. It was a go board. Why was I, or someone else using my body, playing go? I couldn't remember getting here, the last thing I remembered was feeding Loki a piece of cheese from the sandwich I had been eating. Now I was a marionette for an invisible go player.

A man I didn't recognize sat across from me visibly dismayed by his loss in territory. He scratched his head and then bit the ends of his fingers. I wondered if there were tasty lice in his hair and if I was safe from him as long as I stayed on my side of the board. Eventually he reached for a black stone and placed it on the board.

theretheretheregothere

I wasn't sure where there was, but my hand seemed to know and I watched fascinated as it once again retrieved a white stone from the bowl on my side and placed it on the board carefully begining the enclosure of another pod of black pieces.

Me and the lice man went back and forth. at times I tried to take back control of my arm but I simply couldn't. There was no sensation, no tingling like it had fallen asleep, no vague sense that I might have an arm somewhere, like an amputee. I basically had no arm, and yet it continued to move to and from my bowl of stones, and what's more, it was winning.

Giving up on regaining the mastery of my arm for the moment, I began to take joy in the gross lice begotten fool who decided he could beat us. I figured the faster we won the faster I might possibly get my arm back. And slowly the board filled with white.

almosttherealmostyes!

The last possible excisement of black pieces was performed. It had been obvious some time ago that black had no chance against the marvelous team that was made up of my arm and some unknown go god, and black had begun to play more and more poorly, towards the end taking no territory for himself at all. And now it was done. I rejoiced even though I'd really had nothing to do with the victory.





I woke up on the couch laying with my right arm beneath my head. I stretched the arm, it tingled and burned as sensation and blood flowed back to it. Loki stared at me guiltilly from the coffee table, pieces of my sandwich strewn across the surface with little kitty nibbles taken from each piece except for the spinach which was eaten entirely. He made his little meh meh sound that he only makes when he knows he's been bad then staring longingly at a piece of cheese stuck to the surface of the glass table with cat saliva he jumped down and ran down the hall to hide in the bedroom.

No comments: