Friday, January 29, 2010

Jasmine: Loki

Doug’s right the blank page is terrifying. No idea what to write. I got sick of staring at the page so I went to play with Loki. There is nothing so bad that watching my cat play with a feather can’t cure. There are times I want to strangle him. I can take his head into one of my hands and crush it… Loki has a small head. But then he’ll crawl into my lap curl into a ball and look at me and the world is just a better place. That’s what Loki does for my life, he makes it a better place to live. Without him… well I’ve done the whole emotionally stunted hermit semester, I’d rather not revisit it.

I know a lot of people who think pets are just pets. It’s just an animal, why would you care about it, it’s not a person. These people don’t deserve pets. In philosophy we’re reading a book written by a philosopher named Singer. Singers big kick is animals need to be treated like people, which I don’t agree with, but one of the points he uses is that just because were human doesn’t automatically grant us the right to live, it is the individual not the species that has the right to live. So that raccoon may have more of a right to life than you, depending on how high it ranks on someone’s scale. This of course brought up the issue of how do we rank things, by whose definition?

(Note: my cat just crawled into my lap and did his cute thing, little attention whore that he is. Scratch his chin= Loki love forever)

Everyone grades on a different scale. Of course that woman who you saw that one time in the baking isle of the grocery store means less to you than your son or daughter or sister or best friend or cat… I brought this up in class and got glared at by the way. For some reason pointing out that I didn’t care about people I have no interaction with, people who do nothing for or against my life, was inhuman. But that is how everyone is, or how most people are. There are a few out there who run into life or death situations for complete strangers. I don’t necessarily mean soldiers, because when they defend their country they are also defending mom, dad, Loki. But firemen run into burning buildings and don’t always come out. They do this for strangers often at the detriment to their own families and cats. But Firemen are serious minority.

(cat is now asleep I wish I could fall asleep that fast)

So I guess the point of this blog is that Loki is more awesome than the people who shop at your local grocery store, because you don’t know them, and if you know me you know my cat… probably… you should, cause he’s awesome.

You can keep a dog; but it is the cat who keeps people, because cats find humans useful domestic animals."- George Mikes

There is, incidentally, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats." – Anonymous

"I put down my book, The Meaning of Zen, and see the cat smiling into her fur as she delicately combs it with her rough pink tongue. Cat, I would lend you this book to study but it appears you have already read it. She looks up and gives me her full gaze. Don't be ridiculous, she purrs, I wrote it. - from "Miao" by Dilys Laing

2 comments:

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

strong urge to pry you away from your kitty...

-M

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

nooooo! my fluffy