Thursday, March 25, 2010

Meghan: NC

I closed my eyes and lay my head down on the cool surface of my laptop wishing that I could just die quietly. Maybe I would go to a place where I didn’t have to get up so early to go to class and there were no fluorescent classroom lights to lance my eyeballs.
Uuuggghhhh…
I massaged my shoulder with one hand, wincing when I reached the bruises that traced my spine. Spring break had been fantastic, but great things have great prices.
People had begun filtering into the classroom and I clicked on my computer while I waited for the people who would be grouped with me that day to come find me.
“Hi!” said a bright voice behind me as my laptop sung its ‘coming to life’ song. I turned a little to see one of my group members slide in beside me.
“My name is Anne.” She gave me a 100 watt smile.
“I’m Meghan.” I blinked back.
Her eyes flicked over me and her smile wilted by a few decibels. I stopped rubbing the bruises on my neck and blushed as I pulled at my short hair.
If you could see Anne, you would understand her reaction. Her light brown hair was coiffed back under a prim headband and pearl earrings twinkled at her earlobes (one piercing only). A pert mouth was expertly painted with pink lipstick and her sundress was white and patterned with cherries (I kid you not).
As for me, earrings spiked up both of my ears, my short blonde hair was in disarray from the humidity and the lack of time to try to tame it that morning. Bruises spattered their way across my body in a telling manner, and the wide neck of my shirt showed the edge of my tattoo creeping its way across my shoulder. And I probably had a giant red spot on my face from sleeping on my computer.
Still smiling awkwardly I turned back to my computer and logged on. Belatedly I remembered that I had put up a background picture of a naked angel embracing another angel made of metal. It’s a beautiful picture, hardly scandalous at all. But sure enough, when I snuck a glance at Anne she was staring at my computer with a look much like fear. The bright smile was still pasted on her face but her eyes were just a little too wide.
Sigh



-Meghan

No comments: