Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Doug: I wish I knew your name.

I think this may be better, this fracturing. The voice in my head whispers.
I snort, and my body rebels against the thought, feeling physically ill at the prospect. “You would say that. Wouldn’t you?”
I am… she paused, she never did that, ever practical.
“Yeah. Hate was too.” It’s easier to say his name now. He’s an old memory now, like all the other old memories.
I’m not him, you know. He was here first, but I’m here now.
“No, you aren’t Hate. You’re something else; something far more dangerous.”
I won’t tell you my name you know. That would give you power over me. Like you had power over Hate.
“ I’m not going to let this fall apart.”
Do you have a choice? The gods have a plan for us all.
“This fracturing is fated then?”
Perhaps. Perhaps it is something else. Every problem is an opportunity, if one but chooses to see it.
My breath hissed out between my teeth, a habit I’d picked up. “Perhaps this is punishment.”
For being a liar, a cheat, an asshole? All these harsh things you think of yourself, I wonder, are you simply fishing for compliments, or do you really believe yourself? That you are monster wearing human flesh?
“I’m not a good person.”
No. But you aren't a bad one. If you are as evil as you say, why do you care?
“Sooner or later you can’t hide from the things you’ve done.”

“Talk.”
… You can’t change your fate, but you can rise to meet it if you choose.
“Thought so.” I said grimly. “What do I do now?”
Let the wheel turn. You can’t change this, but if you play your cards right, you may be able to reverse it later.
“I’ve a lousy poker face.”

Then have an ace up your sleeve.

_______

"You cheated!"

-McCoy

"I changed the rules."

-Kirk

4 comments:

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

And I will fight till my dying breath. And so it goes...
-M

yebkamin said...

How come I didn't know about this blog? You guys need to tell me about these things!

Scribe said...

T nasty!!!! i love you!!!!

Sarah said...

Who the heck are you Scribe? Doug?