Tuesday, January 13, 2009

That guy: Day Off

I wrote this one quite some time ago, and it's just kinda been sitting, unfinished. I stumbled across it, and thought I should put some more effort in it. I still don't think it's finished, but definitly more that it was. You can read the changes by comparing this one to the one posted in my personal blog @ cheesecows666.blogspot.com

P.S.

Special prize goes to the person who can identify the two lines from two songs by a band in this piece. They're marked, but hidden.

-That guy







The schedule has an X under my name. I grimace and smile together, knowing what is to come.
Like every night, I toss and turn, rolling on my side. 11:24 PM.
It’s been an hour. Still nothing. Why bother?
I crawl from the shelter and comfort of my false peace.
The kitchen calls me.
I wander aimlessly, taking my time, knowing where I’m headed, but in no hurry to get there.
The granite counters are familiar, beckoning. I sit.
“Medical digests say that eating after 9 can lead to heart problems and digestive issues later in life.”
I know this, but the hunger is there. So I stare. A contest between Mikey and Sonny and a Naval Officer.
None of them win. So I stare. Hungry.
The dim oven light shows me it’s later. 4:17AM.
I hate this. I crawl back into my cave, under my heavy covers.




BRAK BRAKBRAKBRKABRAKAKRKBABK…….. slam.



6:30 AM. I hate that sound.

Like so many times before, I drag myself from the cotton touch.
With my hand around the glass, I tilt my head back and throw it down. Balboa has nothing on me.
I step out the door. The chill shocks me to attention. Fully awake, I start to move.
I slip the headphones in my ears. My beautiful angst blares through.
Waking up, good morning to you. -


The far too regular beats of rubber hitting ground lull me into the zone.
It’s always the same. My left hip and knee burn. Bus accident. Then it fades.
My right shoulder tightens up and I groan. Car accident. Then it fades.
Finally, peace; the best part of this routine. I feel nothing but calm, and I press on.
Then it hits me. Everything burns. Nothing moves right. All I feel is pain, but I press on.


I can’t feel my legs.
My lungs scorch me from the inside.
The chill brings water to my eyes.
A crushing solo hurts my ears.
And finally I can think.


I keep running. I always ask myself why. And I always respond in the same manner.
It’s so she’ll notice you.
But she won’t. She never has.
Keep running. Get stronger, get faster. Then she will.
How much stronger?
Until she notices you.


But she’s never recognized me. I’m not a star. Fame is all that matter to her.
So I force myself to be the best. And she still ignores me.

But I keep running.

And all I see is light.

So I turn around. Back. Towards the darkness.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see it.
A place of solitude.
A place of calm.
A place of peace.

So I pause.
Breathing, sweating, pulsing.
And I sit.

And absorb.

And relax.

Mother Nature rears her head. She twists to face me, a smile creeping across her lips.

I can’t let you go. Slow down. Don’t leave. –



BRAK BRAKBRAKBRKABRAKAKRKBABK……………………..

I stare at my pocket.
I answer, against my better judgement.


“Can you come in today?”

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I can’t let you go. Slow down. Don’t leave.

and

Waking up, good morning to you.

The dashes were a good hint, but really unneeded.

And the additions give it a different spin. I remember it from before. I like the Mother Nature part.

Sarah

cheesecows666 said...

Nice.

Now, what songs are they?

And what's the band?

No cheating.

Sarah said...

Knowing you its probably like Steely Dan or 10 years. Now if you were actually jogging, I'm going to go with 10 Years? Wild Guess, though - I don't actually have any idea at all.

And I definately wouldn't know the song titles.

Now you quess-

You've got to be hard, as hard as that rock in rock and roll.

No cheating.
extra kudos for the title.

cheesecows666 said...

10 Years would be correct.

As for yours, that's easy.

All that Soul- Billy Joel

cheesecows666 said...

Wow. I feel stupid.

It's definitly All ABOUT Soul.

I swear, I meant to type that.

Sarah said...

All About Soul is right.
And I really got it? 10 Years?
Cool ;)

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

you guys are rediculous. your strange knowledge of these things amuses me.

jasmine

cheesecows666 said...

No. YOU'RE rediculous.

I bet you couldn't have named any of those 3 songs. But I can tell the world where your G-chat tagline came from.


Because I can.

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

You're both ridiculous, because you can't spell the word right.

And I like being ridiculous.

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

Haha, the ending, I love the ending.
-M

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

of course you can tell me where it came from. we both read that comic.

jasmine