Thursday, January 8, 2009

Meghan: It's a fine line

“When will you cut this bullshit?” Her voice trembled in the cold air. Not in sadness; never in sadness, but in rage. The object of her rage laughed before her, blowing out a silken thread of cigarette smoke into the night.
“What bullshit?” he asked, leaning against the hood of his car, “I’m telling you everything.”
“You’re telling me nothing.” She hissed at him. The snow crackled under her feet as she stepped closer to him, “I ask you about it and you just blow me off.” She snaps her hand in front of her face, “Like I am nothing to you?”
Why did she say that?
The blue, patterned scarf that she wore was one he had bought for her seventeenth birthday. He had slunk sheepishly into her favorite clothing store and stared at the pastel racks in horror while giggles seemed to stab at him from all sides.
It matched her eyes
He grimaced and blew out another puff of smoke, “I don’t know what you want from me.”
She nearly screamed in frustration, “I’ve been telling you all this time and you still don’t understand? I just want to talk to you!”
He flicked the cigarette to the ground, “Do you think that I don’t have a life besides with you?”
When did it get so…
Angry
Choked
She jammed her hands into the pockets of her woolen coat, “I can’t wait forever for you to get your head on straight. I have a life to live too; there are plenty of guys who I could…”
The words died at her lips as his head swiveled around and his eyes met hers, “What? There are plenty of guys who could what?” he asked dully.
Get angry damn you! Fight, laugh, scream; anything but that damned apathy!
She wanted to say it, but she didn’t.
She wanted to take his face in her hands and kiss the sorrow away, but she didn’t.
So they both just stood
Thinking it, needing it, but…
“So I guess that’s it then.” she said coolly
Heart breaking
Earth shaking
Please God, don’t let him say it.
I need him, please—
“I guess so.” He took another pack of smokes from his pocket and lit up again.
No
How?
How did this happen?

-Meghan

No comments: