Thursday, December 11, 2008

Doug: I hate everything about me. Why do you love me?

Someone once described doing the right thing to me as “Imagine the hardest thing in your life you’ve ever had to do. Now imagine it being a permanent weight on your spine that, in a moment of weakness, you can take off. But if you did this everyone that you cared about would think less of you. You can get used to it, eventually, but the temptation to take if off will always be there. That weight is a constant reminder of what is right, and what is easy.”
I like easy. I like finding the simple solution, the quick fix. The problem with this, of course, is that the simple fix is usually the sloppiest. Whatever you’ve created with your simple fix will break down, like a sand castle caught in the rising tide. One moment it stands tall and proud, detail embroidering its parapets and towers; the next it’s just a lump of sand, the rising tide having swept away all that was beautiful and unique about it. Another wave after that… well, the sand just looks the same as it did before your castle ever stood there.
This is if your mortar is nothing but sand and positive thinking. But if your mortar is concrete, your walls reinforced titanium, then, you stand against the waves. The encroaching deep has nothing on your castle of steel and light. Problem with all that is that it takes time, and effort. But your castle stands.
So I guess there really isn’t an option is there? In order to be good, honorable, to earn the right to guard your people, you must be a good man. You must know how to do things the hard way, and must have done things the hard way before.
This is about something. I’m not going to tell you about it if you don’t already know, so don’t ask. But do know that I’m trying; I’m trying really hard to be the shepherd.
But talking ain’t doin.
-Doug
“And I discovered that my castles stand/ upon pillars of salt/ and pillars of sand”
-Coldplay, “Viva la Vida”

4 comments:

Jim said...

I love everything about you, why are you so hard on yourself?

Eve said...

Why do you feel that you are so unlovable? It breaks my heart to read that you hate everything about yourself. I don't understand why you feel that you must be perfect. None of us can claim that. Most of us spend our lives trying to be good people - we continue to be works-in-progress. Why would that be different for you? The best we can do is to be true to ourselves,ergo, we are the best we can be to other people as well. You are a good man, a young man, learning every day.
Love, M

"I am a young king, but I am king." D'artagnan, "Then be a good king."
The Man in the Iron Mask

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

you have to ask?

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

the thing i like best about the truth is that one way, no matter what, the truth will find a way to out. it will twist its way into the sunlight not caring what kind of pain it causes getting there. because the truth is a nosy arrogant bastard. it doesnt care how you feel, it only cares that it knows that it is right and it will stare you down, it will back you down until you know it too.

your parents are right in so many ways. and they give me hope, and you give me hope. because dispite you thinking that you are what was the word your mother used, oh yes, unlovable. you are loved. and you're a good person. and you give me hope

jasmine