Thursday, December 11, 2008

Meghan: It's the end of the wold as we know it

I blinked down sleepily at the papers stacked on my folded knees. My chemistry notes stared back at me; words I had read a hundred times and problems I had done a thousand more. But I was doing them again, yippee. But as I traced my finger across the paper a rattled breathe came from my right and reminded me that I wasn’t here just to study for my finals. Amanda lay twisted on the couch next to me, with her boyfriend Jason sitting on the floor next to her; clutching her hand. He made sure she breathed while I made sure her pulse still beat. Really, the chemistry was just a distraction, something to pet with my hands while I watched the flutter in her neck beat at impossible rates, then slow down to normal, feeling my pulse speed up with it.
As long as it doesn’t stop, they said, as long as it doesn’t stop.
And then her breathing; choked, gasping, coughing. Teas and cough drops and pills, but no, no, not the hospital. Too much money, too much trouble, for not enough results. We commandeered one of the dorm’s lounges because we have no place to nurse our sick bird back to health. And there we have been for the week, studying, bringing food, watching horror movies, and chasing away irritating girls who want to watch TV and bake cookies. I think…I should get some medical training. Like emergency response, medications, etc. Just because I want to save animals doesn’t mean I can’t save people too. At least the ones I like.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine."

though it's 1:30am in the morning which may have something to do with that

-Meghan

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I hope that she feels better! :) If it gets bad - call 911. fyi. Miss you, see you soon, stay healthy!
Sarah

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

ooohhhh....I don't think I should post so late at night(early in the morning?) they turn out strange. She be okay, fear not. It was just something I'd never thought of before, that people wouldn't want to go to the hospital when they were sick. Miss you much too >_< can't wait to see you
-M