Thursday, December 11, 2008

That guy: Happy Holidays?

'Tis the season.

For greed.

For hate.

For consumerism.

For basterdized versions of songs.

For overeating.

For overheating.

For everything that seems to just be so wrong.








First of all, I'd like to thank all of you for helping me, and by me I mean Mooch, out. You know that all you have to do is call on me when you need something, and it's even more true now. I appreciate each and every item given to me in his behalf.
Mom, dad, I'll be returning that mattress to you if you don't mind. He's doing good, and looking for work.


Second, and moreso, is the real reason I'm writing this. Mostly, it's the fact that all of you are writing things, and I am not. To quote the Shaolin Monks, "Perhaps it's because you are a college student." But seriously.

'Tis the season. And while some of us have so much, there are still who have so little. I've done a lot that I'm not proud of, and so much of it has caused harm and damage. In an attempt to cosmicly balance my chi, I've done more charity work than most people have in their lives. When I was writing my resume a while back, it was mindblowing, looking back on it, at actually how much volunteer and community service work I've done. Let me talk about my 2 favorites.

The first, and tied for most awsome is working with the animal creatures. All of you have been to my house, and have met my dogs. I love those little bastardetts. From picking up shit in the snow, to cleaning up vomit out of the carpet, to trying to get piss out of grout, I still love them. You may or may not know; all my dogs were rescue dogs. We got up at 4 in the morning to stand in line in freezing cold weather to wait for a chance to adopt Bear, who has always been my favorite. I've spent a ton of my time in shelters. Even something as simple as hanging out in one, talking to the person working by themselves.

You all know how badly I'm allergic to cats. You all either know, or have suspected that I have some masochistic tendancies. I think my like of those stupid fuzzballs comes from several ends. When I work petthings, I try to stay simply with the dogs, even though I'm allergic to them too, but far, far less severely. However, every now and then, a rare occasion comes through.

http://i1.tinypic.com/6z8975c.jpg

I'm not squinting. My eyes are allergized shut. Again, however, even the bad things lead down a good path sometimes.

http://i7.tinypic.com/739o4uu.jpg

I think it was worth it.

A good story. I don't sleep well. Known fact. I sleep even worse during wrestling season. I was working at an animal shelter, similar to the one at Cornado Mall, but it was cold. Quite cold outside. As in snow all around. I think there was something wrong with the heater indoors. I was wearing my sweater. That's how cold it was. And these poor puppies were all, literally, chillin in their cubicles. I spend as much time warming up everyone I could. Blankets were being pulled out, I was stuffing my shirt with puppies, so on. There was this one pair of siblings, who were really active, even with the weather. I love a good tussle, so I spent several hours in their cell. They kept climbing up my chest (I was sitting down against the wall) and attacking my face. It got to the point where I realized that cleaning my glasses every five seconds was a waste, and ended up taking them off, and staching them in a pocket. As soon as they had enough, they curled up and promptly passed out in the warmest spot there was. I woke up several hours later, with two twin puppies asleep on my chest. Apparently, they were adopted the next day. Nothing says love like a grody meathead asleep on a dirty kennel floor with puppies.

I'm still trying to find those pictures.



My second service has been food. I love to eat, cook, and hell, watching the Food Network is even fun. I've done a ton of work at food banks. They combine several things that really rock. Food + mindless monotony/thinking time + heavy lifting for extended periods of time + a reason to be doing it leads to good things. A wise man once said "Corn is no place for a mighty warrior." It's only MOSTLY true. After lifting pallets of corn for 12 hours, you feel pretty ripped.

But, it's getting very early. It's 2:02 in the morning. So I'm gonna get to the point.

Heifer International is a fantastic program, commited to giving a man a fish, and teaching him how to raise bees. Donations are used to purchase impoverished families geese, cattle, sheep, pigs, rabbits, and other animals that provide food, fur, and income. I will be accepting donations through New Years, at which point, I'll send it off to them. Here's how it works.

You donate. Pocket-change. Spare change. Your friends change.
I will match up to 50% of donations. I'm personally donating a decent sum to begin with, and the more you donate, the more I donate. No matter how small the amount, I'll take it. If you do donate, and have a preference of what the money should go towards, here's a list. http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.204586/

Thanks.




P.S.

Show on Saturday @ Threadspace. Charity show, food drive, clothing drive. Live art, live music. Sick shit. Go. Do it.


P.S.S

Show on the 20th. Our biggest yet. 2 Dj's, breakdancers, babes everywhere, and for those lucky older people, a 21+ section. I'll put the flyer up tomorrow. I have 800 print copies in my bedroom, but I left the stupid digital file at work.



P.S.S.S

I promise my next blog, after I post the flyer, will be actual writing. Srsly.

No comments: