Monday, September 29, 2008

Doug: Dear Friends

Dear Reader,

As I perused the wares of the Big 5 camping store located directly across from the University Bookstore today I found myself face to face with a piece of equipment that was at the same time familiar and unfamiliar to me. A tent.

Being an Eagle Scout I am familiar with almost all types of tents. I've set them up in the rain, the snow, hail, even fair weather occasionally. Give me ten minutes with a completely unfamiliar tent and I'll have it set up in that time or shorter. So, while exploring big five it came as no surprise that all the tents were different versions of types I'd already dealt with. Big family tents, easily able to fit ten people, small backpacking types, one or two person, cramped. What was missing however, was my personal favorite, the medium 4 person jobs. Just enough room for 4 people, five if you're comfortable with your sexuality.

My most recent experience, and perhaps fondest memories, with these tents took place not in a Boy Scout setting however. No, my most recent experience was the camping trip the Fearsome Fivesome took together early this last summer. This was without a doubt the best camping trip I've ever been on, and one of the only ones where I was completely and utterly sad to have to go back to civilization.

So it was with some sadness and many fond memories that I stared at the tents in Big 5. I am often reminded of the gaping hole the absence of my friends has left in me. This seemed another wound on top of many, but unlike many of my other reminders, this one was more sweet than bitter. Some of my fondest memories of my friends take place on that camp out and I'm glad that we've all agreed it's going to be a tradition.

So Dear Friends, it is not with sadness but excitement that I look forward to the next Ride Of The Fearsome Fivesome, though it is months away. I miss you all terribly.

-Doug

"Dear Friends Dear Friends,
Let me tell you how I feel
You have given me your Treasure
I love you so."
-Dear Friends, Author Unknown

2 comments:

cheesecows666 said...

And ride we shall..............

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

I miss camping. But it's come to the point where someone in NC will mention camping and I'll start laughing hysterically because I'll remember stuff from our trip...
-Meghan