Saturday, September 20, 2008

Meghan: school stress

I’m eating cookies and drinking tea

Playing soothing music

And I’m wearing a goddamn skirt

The next person I see wearing our school colors is going to die

I’m going to maintain this state of being until I’ve calmed down, If anyone interrupts my state of being henceforth their life will be on the line.

Yes, I’m stressed, because this week is the week that I decided to question my life, the meaning of it all.

What in all hell possessed me to do this? I have no idea, it just happened and I didn’t fight it. My mind wanted to figure things out? Fine, be my guest.

If you haven’t figured it out yet, my mind works in weird patterns and pieces. Doug says that he doesn’t like it when people talk in third person but sometimes it’s less confusing if I speak that way. (At least it is to me, the rest of you can suck it up)

So, to the main topic at hand. My major is Biology, and I want to go to veterinary school. Yes I want to heal the cute, fuzzy animals. Hahaha, the dogs and cats would be okay, but I’d much rather work in a zoo or specialties clinic with exotics like tigers or elephants. If perchance I don’t get into vet school, that’s the situation I’m worried about. Basically the only options left for my degree are research-lab work or teaching. Ug. Teaching. I’d kill the students if they didn’t kill me first. If I did lab work for the rest of my life I think I’d light myself on fire with a Bunsen burner out of sheer boredom. So, I’m left with the options of vet school or death. Oh joy. Vet school takes obscenely high grades; it’s harder to get into than med school.

So what the hell do I do if I don’t get in? This stupid question haunted me into the night and day. What if I don’t get the grades I need and I have to…What? What will I do? Just exist? Is that enough? Just floating along going at life half-assed until I die? Or is it better to compromise, take a job doing lab work I hate so I can live the other parts of my life the way I want to?

What is the meaning of life?

To all of you who say 42 I have one reply

Fuck you



-Meghan

3 comments:

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

yeah, meaning of life, not sure there is one or has to be one, unless we create one for ourselves. i've been having some issues too, not quite the same, but you dont have to be a lab monkey with a bio degree, you could do field research, or go into anything else. your degree doesnt define you, it can help you get that next step, ie veternary school, but it doesnt really have to do anything. you could go into business if you wanted, or travel wild places with no money and earn your meals as you go. i find it entertaining that wearing a skirt destresses you. tea i understand, but a skirt? meh

Jim said...

Dear Meghan,
My take on it is that you'll get the grades to do anything you want to do. Have the confidence to give yourself some credit. However, if you decide you don't want to go to vet school with your biology degree, I know a guy who made a career out of biology field work for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service doing some studies in some pretty cool out-of-the-way places.
Doug's Dad.

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

love to you all, I must explain the skirt because that too has a long and complicated story behind it...
venting is good, -_-