Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Doug: First Day

Dear Reader,

I had my first day of actual college today. This kind of school I could get used to.

Well, let me clarify that.

I had two classes today, one, Naval Science 101, took place at 830. That one I was almost late to, and that was kind of scary. I wanted to wake up at 6, but ended up crawling out of bed at 745. I know, I'm pathetic. Fuck me right?

Our Naval Science instructor just happens to be the Battalion XO, meaning he's second in command next to the skipper. He's a chill guy, says um a lot, but that's fine. He's way cooler than Mrs. Coffee. But then, anyone would be. The class is going to be more organization based than any other course I've got, which is good, cause I need to get organized more. I'm staying above water, but it's got to become a habit.

My next class was at 1130, and it was English:Composition. Now comes the funny part. The fine print apparently said: British Romantic Poetry. So, I didn't know it, but I'm taking a class about romantic poetry. I'm about as romantic as a kettle. Flowers are like my affection, they die.

I'm excited for the class though, our professor is some guy in his late twenties. He's not short, but not particularly tall either. He opened the class by busting in and repeating John Keats's "Ode to a Grecian Urn" from memory. Not only was that impressive, but it was really quite moving as well. It's full of passion and provocative imagery.

He was sick too, and totally had the whole, "I'm artsy, so when I'm sick I carry around a handkerchief I can cough into" thing going for him. It reminded me a little too much about good ol' E.A. Poe and his fun with tuberculosis though.

I keep waiting to get sick. I don't want to, but everything about this place seems a little unsanitary. Like, the not really washed dishes, and the lack of hand soap, and a million other things that keep me in the "I'm gonna get sick" mode. I've been washing my hands a lot, maybe I'll develop OCD, and have to count things for a living.

I've decided against getting a credit card. They seem too dangerous a temptation. Especially because of the trouble with my bank. Apparently they put a hold on one of my transactions. It makes sense, it was like, a thousand dollars. Normal people don't just transfer that amount of money without having some ulterior motive. Yep. It's true. I'm an agent for S.H.I.E.L.D. heh. shield. The Avengers. I am Iron Man.

But it made it difficult to buy books. which I'm not okay with, books are totally my thing. Not being able to buy them is like holding my nuts hostage. With a baseball bat at the ready.

But so far, College is better than it was before. I'm excited now. But anyone who says I told you so will get punished, with baseball bat delivery to the gonads. Chuck Norris style.

And on that note...

-Doug

"Jebel Ali!
I Dream of God,
I Dream of Rain."
-Jebel Ali, Unknown

3 comments:

cheesecows666 said...

First, first comment.

Second, good choice on the credit card. They steal your precious student soul.

Third, if you need books, let me know.

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

your professors are more interesting than mine *whine* and i took a look at that pic of your sex prof, she's not that bad, and she's a blonde with darkening hair, not brunette. she looks interesting. kind of like my neighbor with the guns.

you have joined us oh late one. muahahahah

Scribe said...

naw sweetie, those are old pics. plus i got a look at her in person today. she seems to have a sparkling personality going for her, but that's about it.
and yeah. I'm in. Don't worry, I got this shit handled.