Wednesday, September 24, 2008

That guy: That girl

Because Doug is such a whiny little girl about me blogging, I shall.






Everyone has some sort of attachment.


There are the ones that mean nothing, like which ice-cream flavor is your favorite.

There are the ones that flicker back and forth, like a high-school crush.

There are the ones that will never leave, like the smell of a childhood blanket pressed to your face, breathing in every agony and joy your memory permits.



My track-record with women isn’t good. Hell, it’s downright awful. But there is this one girl. We’ll call her Windy.

My first contact with Windy was at the ripe old age of 2 weeks. She was brought to me in all her swirling, soothing, wonderful glory. Of course, I had no way to know who I was meeting, being that young. But I soon found out. As I grew older, so did she. Her being my senior never strained our relationship; in fact, it enriched it. I yearned for every time we met. It was such a learning experience! She had so many things to teach, to offer! I was like a puppy at a water dish, lapping up all I could.

We became so close, that I actually spent all of my time with her. Literally. For a three month period, I was with her 24/7. But the best laid plans of mice and men so often go astray, as the saying goes.

Things changed. My interests. Her loyalties. It was like a classic cinema. We were the two lovebirds, drifting apart, being torn from each other by life. While I grew, she grew and matured. The difference was staggering. I was still a bitter, broken child, becoming more so with every passing day. She would have none of it. So in my time of need, my darkest hour, she vanished into the wind. The downward spiral continued……………………..

We haven’t seen much of each other since. The occasional, awkward meeting. When either of us brought up the past, things always ended on a downbeat. It was strange. How someone so wise could fall victim to such horrors. But it happened. And there is no denying it. The violence and carnage in her name, and even those linked to her changed both of us.

Recently, I was given a chance. A rare occasion in my life. I was given time with her. By myself. This in itself was, I believe, all our relationship needed to come alive. All the previous times except for that three months, I had been with others, equally vying for her attention. Their connection had never been as strong, but being of a good heart, Windy found time to share with all who wanted. Except this time. The longest 40 minutes of my life took place that day.

People know about my food. I love it. To an unhealthy extent, sometimes. In particular, the attachment that means nothing. My favorite ice-cream flavor is plain-old Vanilla. In a pinch, vanilla bean. But there’s only one place that I truly enjoy vanilla ice-cream. As much as I love Dee-Dee’s, they could never, ever match up. And it just so happens that this tiny little Dairy Queen is in the area I was given with Windy. So naturally, we met there. I could tell the moment we met, things were different. They were back to how they should be.

We spent every single one of those precious 40 minutes together. We went to endless numbers of our hidie-holes. I was literally dragged away from her when our time was up. We had made our amends, and even though we had less than an hour together, it felt like our relationship was stronger than it ever was. And then I had to go. For the first time, in a very long time, I wasn’t ready to move on.

We get to see each other less and less with each passing year. And with our futures drawing us apart, but actually willing to remain together, things will change.

I love you, Windy.



“But if you really care for her, then you would n-never hit the airport, To follow your dreams, sometimes I still talk to her, but when I talk to herIt always seems like she talking about me.”

- Homecoming, by Kanye West feat. Chris Martin

No comments: