Friday, October 17, 2008

Doug: Laptag is for Pansies

Dear Readers,

On this august morning of October the Seventeenth in the Year of Our Lord 2008, I, Midshipman 4/c Wood, have discovered something. Something so amazing, so awesome, that I have been forced to reevaluate my worldview.

Many know that I was and still am an avid player of the game of Laptag. For those of you that don't know it, I'm not going to explain it, merely know that it is both violent and amusing. Now, I once thought Laptag was the supreme game, second to none among the myriad of games that you can play with your friends that involve physical activity.

I was wrong.

My Marine brothers have introduced me to something both strange and wondrous to me. A game that is both challenging and unique. What is this game you ask? How does it capture my soul and mind? Well, dear friends, let me tell you.

Incidentally, and in true Marine fashion, this game is called Murderball.

Murderball is a lot like rugby, only instead of running the ball around, you have to play on your hands and knees. you have a field, with two end zones. you try and get a five pound ball into the end zones. Here's the best part: Use any means necessary.

Just wait, it gets better: stop the other team: using any means necessary.

Naturally, all out punches and actually killing people is discouraged, but you can grapple. And grappling in the mud is the shit. Come to think of it, anything in murderball is the shit.

So, during bulldog we played. and that made me exquisitely happy. I handled myself well, and only had to tap when one of our former marines tried to squeeze the life out of my windpipe. I made a few others tap as well. There was a former Lance Corporal who was way too much fun to grapple with. Basically, we messed each other up in the mud. And our team won.

So, Dear Friends, when we get home from our journey... Murderball anyone?

-Doug

"Come on you apes, you wanna live forever?"
-Starship Troopers

1 comment:

Hornblower said...

"My Marine brothers have introduced me to something both strange and wondrous to me...Something so amazing, so awesome, that I have been forced to reevaluate my worldview..."

"...grappling in the mud is the shit... I handled myself well... I made a few others tap as well..."

"There was a former Lance Corporal who was way too much fun to grapple with. Basically, we messed each other up in the mud."

You know man, there's no place like college in Seattle to allow someone to experiment with their inner desires.

-Zebulon