Thursday, October 23, 2008

Meghan: Lovely interpretations

I don’t like it.

I wish I could start a blog with rainbows and unicorns and other such happy things, but, well…sorry, that’s just not how I roll.

What don’t I like?

It all started when a group of friends from Taekwondo and I went to dairy queen a few hours ago, and for some stupid reason we decided to partake in friendly debate (haha friendly debate among opinionated college students, that’s funny)

We argued about McDonalds v Burger King, Led Zeppelin v Iron Maiden, karate v taekwondo, embryonic stem cell research v adult stem cell research, etc.

Eventually (I don’t know how) we started on the topic of love. The preacher in our group (it’s north Carolina, they’re everywhere don’t worry about it) asked us if any of us could define love.

Oh God, how in all hells do you answer that one? Well he gave us his answer (somehow delivered using spoons for diagrams):

“Love is when you tolerate someone else no matter what.”

I looked at him, staring, unbelieving that he could make something so wonderful sound so boring and mundane. Love=toleration? That’s it? That was so…the very thought was rejected by my mind as soon as I heard it. Maybe the definition made sense in some corner of my thoughts but the shining swirl of light that was love wasn’t toleration. Toleration was the thing that I did with people I didn’t like but couldn’t kill; so I just had to live with them. I don’t even ‘tolerate’ people I like.

I tried to beat Mark over the head with my ideas but he was so utterly convinced with his ideal love that I couldn’t convince him of anything. The closest I got was when I said in a frustrated voice, “There’s no possible way you can describe love, it’s just love.” He looked at me and said, “You’re close.” Thank you, I feel so much better. I will keep my interpretations and you can keep yours, and may you find love with them.

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."

Brendan Gill

-Meghan

16 comments:

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

ha, i kind of like his definition. it is as if no matter what that person does you wont throw them away, or even walk away. with anyone else you can do this. friends, for me, my family, classmates or roommates. but if you really do love someone, you wont walk away from them even thought they frustrate your mind and all your senses. you stay, you stick with it tolerating them, because lo and behold, you love them. i like it, it's not mine, but it makes sense to me.

Scribe said...

Love is a many splendored thing,
Love lifts us up where we belong,
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE!
-Doug

Sarah said...

I agree with Jasmine. And sadly, I have a different definition, to completely make this confused. I think there are different types of love. All love is caring. Friendship is caring enough to yell at them when they are wrong, to hold them up when they aren't strong, and to be there for them in all their times of need, and vice versa. Love between parents and children is can be even stronger. You would not only give them everything, but you would die for them. Thus, Love is caring enough to tolerate another person, to help them, and empathize with them. And even though I said, this, Love is so much more that everyything I said. yet, I don't know if I'm right. I wrote a blog about this on myspace to which everyone responded...check it out

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

Love is the definition of being a physco....continuting with the same course of action and expecting different results. The fact is Love doesn't expect anything. It just is. Maybe that's why we never stop loving someone. Love is crazy.
"Love is patient, love is kind, love is slowly losing your mind."
~27 Dresses

Sarah

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

Doug, please don't start that again.
- Jasmine

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

Get the kit!
ha
I agree with the definition, but if you had a giant book and it was about love, that definition would be a sentence. You can't sum up such a thing in one bloody sentence, it's impossible.
-Meghan
yes, I reply to my own blog

Scribe said...

All you need is love!

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

a girl has got to eat

Scribe said...

All you need is love!

Scribe said...

ALL YOU NEED IS LOOOVE!

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

love is just a game

Scribe said...

I was made for loving you baby you were made for loving me.

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

the only way of lovin me baby is to pay a lovely fee

Scribe said...

Just one night... just one night...

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

there's no way, cause you cant pay

Scribe said...

In the name of love! one night in the name of love!