Sunday, October 5, 2008

Jasmine: Walking home

Tonight I walked home from Sarah’s dorm having for once completed all the homework I needed to do the next day. You have no idea how infrequently this happens. Though if you know me, maybe you do. I procrastinate, it’s one of my charms. I delayed as long as possible before leaving my beloved Sarah, but not because I enjoy her company so much, though I do, I wanted to wait as long as I could because I’d left my sweatshirt back at my door and it was freaking cold outside. It had pissed me off earlier so I left it behind. I don’t know why I thought waiting would fix this, I knew it would only get colder, but for some reason my mind refused to accept this, until I was forced to leave by my own need to write, not this, something else which I will start once this is finished.

I got outside and my expectations were rewarded. It was so freaking cold I could feel the hairs on my arms raise beneath my shirt. Yesterday it rained you see. The wet draws out the cold like a lover whispering across the bed sheet. And today the cold was here. But I didn’t realize what it meant until I was about a hundred feet away from Sarah’s building. I was just rounding some couple cuddled together for warmth or other things when I started to laugh. I was laughing because, it’s autumn. It’s autumn and that fact didn’t hit me until just now.

That burning cold, the wet, as I passed by some more dorms I caught a whiff of a burned out fire, some dorms have open fire pits outside, and yet another memory caught up with me. Do you know what they reminded me of? Not autumn, they reminded me of winter. But it wasn’t quite cold enough, it wasn’t quite wet enough to be exactly winter yet. But that’s what autumn is, the almost winter.

It is the almost all life gone from everything smart enough to pull out in time. Whether that be a tree or a goose. Humans are strange creatures who will slog through drifts of snow pretending that the weather doesn’t touch them, or that it can’t. Why? Because we’re human and we decided.

Anyways, this didn’t really have any meaning, I just had this feeling and I wrote it. In a few days it will get warm again, if only for a little while, because this is what New Mexico, mainly Albuquerque does. This winter’s going to be a long one though, a long, cold, wet one. And I live in the dorms furthest from everything, awesome. I might need a better coat. Hope you enjoyed my run-on sentences.

3 comments:

Jim said...

The wet draws out the cold like a lover whispering across the bed sheet. - Now that's some vivid, sensuous imagery. The girl knows how to turn a phrase.

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

I <3 you, Jaz.

The Fearsome Fivesome said...

And when winter comes Jasmine will walk among the flakes (having forgotten her coat again) and scream "I DON'T NEED A JACKET! IT'S NOT EVEN COLD! BECAUSE I AM A MIGHTY HUMAN!" and I will laugh.
-Meghan